Thursday, November 11, 2010

Nike: "Just Do It"


Honestly, I didn't realize all the bad media Michael Jordan has gotten. After reading the articles written by Douglass Kellner and Joseph Dorinson, it opened my eyes to a whole new world as to how much Michael Jordan is really lacking. Compared to the famous boxer Mohammad Ali and the all-around best athlete Jackie Robinson, Michael Jordan doesn't even hold a light compared to them. In the past when there was a whole lot more racism, Jackie Robinson and all the other athletes of the time paved the way for the present and the future. Michael Jordan had it easy because he was able to sign with Nike and that made him a huge deal thanks to advertising. However, how come when Michael Jackson is in the spotlight he isn't able to stand up for what is right? Instead he just says "no comment" and turns away. The big controversy here is because of Nike and how they are continuously trying to find ways to have cheaper labor. Moving all over Asia in countries like China, Vietnam, Indonesia, and South Korea. All of these factories mainly have women workers who get paid next to nothing. ~$1.20, and although the pay varies, it all is the same compared to the billions of dollars that Nike makes off of their terrible conditions. I wish I could say that I was different and labels didn't matter to me, but honestly they do. I feel like buying a Nike brand has better quality than other lower end brands. Does that mean I'm classified as one of those consumers who was sucked into the ads and campaigns? You betcha. And I'm sure everyone in my generation and younger feel the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment